One of my favorite things to do is to rescue beautiful old artwork. Most of it is in broken frames, with major acid burns and water damage and cardboard backs and, and, and.
Here is an example of something I did recently – I took the artwork out altogether, surrounded it with acid free materials and rebuilt the existing frames (the owner liked them, so did I, and they weren’t too far gone) and then reinstalled them. I put the titles on the back of the finished picture. I could have kept the titles in the front but in order to do that I would have wanted to separate them from the images, as the artwork was attached to the paper with the titles on it, and it’s imperative to detach the artwork from the acidic paper it was on. Once separated
I can cut a second window for the titles. This I think works better for these pieces and the owner is fine with the titles on the back. After all, the artwork is the important bit.